Private Tour of Lantau Island including Big Buddha and Tai O
Lantau Island is often referred to as the ‘Lungs of Hong Kong’ because it is so green and underdeveloped.
- See Lantau island from several perspectives during a day trip
- A personalized option for first-time visitors
- Tailor your itinerary according to personal preferences
- Hotel pickup and drop-off are included for maximum convenience
Choose to meet your private guide at your hotel (tour duration will be 8 hours) or at the Tung Chung MTR Station on Lantau Island (tour duration will be 7 hours).
Begin your exploration of Lantau with a ride on the Ngong PIng Cable Car, which features views of Lantau Country Park over the course of the 25-minute ride. Once you arrive at the Big Buddha, you can climb the 268 steps to visit the top, the hall of the 10,000 Buddhas, and the Po Lin Monastery.
Hop on the bus for the 20-minute ride (own expense) to Tai O, a village comprised of homes on stilts in the water. Visit the colorful seafood market and learn how the village is famous for its production of shrimp sauce and shrimp paste. Stop by the restored Old Police Station, now a hotel, where you can stop for lunch (own expense).
Visit one of the remaining shrimp sauce factories and a temple built in the 15th century before boarding a speedboat for a 20-minute ride (keep an eye out for the native pink dolphins). If you like, you can trek to a lookout point to see the bridge being built to connect Hong Kong to Macau.
Please note: Total walking distance is 3 to 6 miles (5 to 10km); this tour is suitable for participants who are reasonably physically fit.
Weekdays, you'll meet at Tung Chung at 9:45am (hotel 9am) and holidays/weekends at Tung Chung at 8:45am (hotel 8am).
- Professional guide
- One way ride on the Ngong Ping cable car from Tung Chung to the Big Buddha in a standard cabin (upgrade to crystal cabin available on request)
- Public bus ride from Ngong Ping to Tai O and public bus ride from Tai O to Tung Chung or Mui Wo at the end of the tour
- Speedboat ride at Tai O fishing village
- Entry/Admission - Ngong Ping 360
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- If you elect to use a taxi at any point during your tour, the costs are not included and are payable by yourself.
- Please note that if you book a hotel pick-up, it is still a walking tour, not a car tour which means that you will be travelling around using the excellent public transport system.
Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Traveler pickup is offered
Meeting Time for 7-hour tours starting at Tung Chung: Monday to Friday - 09:40 am. Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays - 08:40 am.
Meeting time for 8-hour tours with a hotel pick-up: Monday to Friday - 08:40 am. Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays - 07:40 am.
Returns to original departure point
Have a question?
Why Discover China
You might also like...
- Private Tour of Lantau Island including Big Buddha and Tai O 97
- Lantau Island Small Group Tour in Hong Kong 173
- Full-Day Private Customized Walking Tour of Hong Kong 94
- Half-Day Private Custom Tour of Hong Kong 81
- Private tour of Hong Kong - First timers 3670
- Small-Group Hong Kong Island Food Tour 98