Lantau Island Small Group Tour in Hong Kong
Take a small group walking tour of Lantau and visit the awe inspiring Big Buddha and the wonderfully quaint stilt village of Tai O. Includes a ride on the famous Ngong Ping cable car, a boat ride through Tai O village and lunch at the UNESCO recognised Tai O Heritage hotel; originally established as a police station in 1902 to combat pirates prevalent in the neighbouring waters.
- 7-hour small-group day tour of Lantau Island
- Small-group tour limited to nine people provides an intimate experience
- Ride the Ngong Ping Cable Car up to Big Buddha (Tian Tan Buddha)
- Stop at a UNESCO site in the village of Tai O for lunch
- Learn about Taoism as you visit a temple from the 1400s
- Take a boat ride, and see stilt houses up close
- This tour involves about 7.5 miles (12 km) of walking
Your day tour starts at Tung Chung MTR Station Exit B. If your tour is on a Tuesday or Thursday, meet at 9:45 am, and if you’re meeting on a Sunday or public holiday, meet at 8:45am. Please keep in mind it might be smart to show up 5-10 minutes before the actual meeting time. Because the cable car tickets are pre-booked, your guide can not wait for people who are late. This tour operates with a maximum of nine people, ensuring you’ll enjoy a small-group experience your expert guide.
Start off your day with a 25-minute ride on the Ngong Ping Cable Car, as you take in sights of one of Hong Kong’s largest islands. Your cable car stops when you get up to Big Buddha (Tian Tan Buddha). Here you can learn about Buddhism, and climb up 268 steps to the top. Also, visit the Po Lin Monastery and the Hall of 10,000 Buddhas.
From there, take a 20-minute public bus ride over to the village of Tai O. Stop by two shrimp sauce production factories and a Taoist temple. Stop for lunch at the old police station, which is now a UNESCO-recognized heritage hotel. Hop aboard a boat, and cruise as you spot stilt houses built right up on the water.
Once your time on the island has come to an end, travel back to Tung Chung MTR station by public bus.
- Boat ride at Tai O
- Lunch at the Lookout restaurant at the Heritage Hotel in Tai O
- Public transport used during the tour
- Transport to and from the meeting point in Tung Chung
Tung Chung Station, Tung Chung, Hong Kong
Returns to original departure point
Have a question?
Why Discover China
You might also like...
- Full-Day Private Customized Walking Tour of Hong Kong 94
- Lantau Island Small Group Tour in Hong Kong 173
- Half-Day Private Custom Tour of Hong Kong 81
- Private Tour of Lantau Island including Big Buddha and Tai O 97
- Small-Group Hong Kong Island Food Tour 98
- Private tour of Hong Kong - First timers 3670