One-day at Mutianyu
Glory of Great Wall Hiking: One-day at Mutianyu
- Fully restored Great Wall at Mutianyu
- Stunning photo opportunity of the Great Wall
- Toboggan ride downhill (optional)
Great Wall at Mutianyu used to serve as the northern barrier defending the capital and imperial tombs in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). This section is surrounded by woodland and streams. It is a section restored in the early 1980s, however, it retains the original feature of an ancient defense system. It’s easy to access by 45 miles away from Beijing
Pick you up at your hotel in Beijing at 8 am and drive to Mutianyu (1.5 hours). You will start hiking at around 9:30, and it will take about 2.5 hours to complete the hike. We will take a cable up to Watchtower 14, from where you can walk either westward to Watchtower 20 or eastward to Watchtower 6, alternatively you can do a loop walk from Watchtower 14 to Watchtower 20 and then come back to watchtower 6. There are 3 options downhill: by walking, by cable car (optional) or by toboggan (optional). Lunch at a local restaurant will be organized after the hiking before returning your hotel.
Mutianyu offers a wonderfully satisfying experience of the Wall. It has superb scenery, dense vegetation and many fine watchtowers in an excellent restored section which is about six meters broad. The brickwork is elaborate, with crenelations on both sides and finely curved eaves on some watch-tower roofs. There are decorative gables with animal statues, and tablets bearing calligraphy above some entrances.
- Air-con vehicle with experienced driver
- Personal expert English-speaking hiking tour guide
- Entrance fees for the Great Wall
- One-way Uphill cable car
- Unlimited bottled water; snacks; late lunch at local farmer’s restaurant after the hike
- A certificate of completion for hiking on the Great Wall of China
- Travel insurance
- Downhill Cable car, chairlift, toboggan (slideway) or any other additional local facilities
- Personal expenses
- Tipping of hiking guide/driver recommended on good service on a 2:1 ratio separately
We can include a customized pick-up or drop-off at the following points without additional cost. It’s safe to store your luggage at our car/van.
Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK at T1/T2/T3)
Beijing Railway Station
Beijing West Railway Station (train to/from Xi’an)
Beijing South Railway Station (train to/from Shanghai)
Have a question?
Why Discover China
You might also like...
- Tiananmen Square & Forbidden City, Hutong & Temple Of Heaven 86
- 1 Day City Tour Temple Of Heaven and Summer Palace 60
- 1 Day Tour Forbidden City & Great Wall 99
- Beijing tour (Hutongs, Dumplings, Silk Market) 110
- 1 Day Tour to Tiananmen Square Forbidden City Summer Palace 76
- One-day from Simatai West to Jinshanling 136
- One-day at Mutianyu 108
- 1-Day Tour (Great Wall+Summer Palace) 99
- One-day from Simatai West Jinshanling to Gubeikou 145
- One Day Beijing Bus Tour 53